Sunday, November 15, 2009

MISS INDIA NEW YORK PAGEANT - GREAT PLATFORM FOR YOUNG INDIAN LADIES ...

Mr. Dharmatma Saran invited me to attend the Miss Indian New York and Miss Teen India New York pageants held at the Community Center Auditorium in Flushing Saturday 14th evening. I thought that that was such a nice gesture on his part to extend an invitation to someone like me. I accepted the invitation and he told me that there will be an envelope with my name and two complimentary tickets. So said, so done! Thank you very much, Sir. I appreciate the thought and effort put into this for me.

I first met Mr. Saran at the World Fair's Marina Restaurant for a GOPIO meeting. I was early for that meeting and he made some calls on my behalf to see when the others would be arriving. He stayed around to make sure I was alright and introduced me to the owner of the restaurant who made sure I was provided with some finger food until the team arrived.

His deameanor is so unassuming, easy-going, friendly and caring that these outstanding qualities belly the fact that he is the Chairman of the IFC who coordinates all these Miss India & Miss Teen New York pageants in the Big Apple, other states around the US and around the globe, including South Africa and India.

Not only that, but he is one of the persons who genuinely and tirelessly work towards the promotion of the Indian culture globally and provide young Indian women a powerful platform to represent what it is like to be Indian in foreign countries. He should be lauded and recognized for the time, effort, dedication and hardwork he put into helping to groom these young ladies to become more confident, out-spoken, community-minded and help them to see the world from a different perspective. Now, I call that making a difference in a big way. You're doing excellent work, Mr. Saran. Never stop promoting these lovely young ladies.

It was the 27th Maaza Miss India New York and 2nd Miss Teen India New York pageants. It was my first experience attending a pageant of this kind and I believe it was Robby's first time attending one too. Well, we thoroughly enjoyed it and I will attend one again.

The cultural program was spectacularly beautiful and consist of refreshingly clean-cut Indian style of dancing. The dances were brilliantly choreographed, much thanks to the chorographer who did a great job. The Arya Dance Academy showcased some very young talented dancers whose skills were unmatched on stage. They exhibited such grace and bravery that they held the crowd spell-bound.

It was awesome when the group of little girls between ages 3-8-years came on stage, wearing PJs and holding teddy bears. They danced so beautifully a song from the Shaw Rukh Khan and Madhuri Dixit starrer "Dil To Pagal Hai" - "Koee jaisay hai ..." I hope I am correct. But, these kids were so adorable that they literally took people's breath away. It was an amazing performance and the Arya Dance Academy should be complimented on the great work it is doing.

The contestants for both pageants did a great job. All the young ladies are beautiful and did their best, whether it was displaying their exquisite saries and lehangas, evening gowns, showcasing their talents or answering questions on stage. Their talent pieces which included dances of different kinds, were skillfully excecuted. These ladies displayed great courage by merely participating in these pageants. That is such an admirable trait. I say they were all winners by just making that decision to participate in the pageant. Congrats to all the lovely ladies. Keep shining brightly whatever you choose to do in the future.

I think the winner for the Miss India New York is the lovely Miss Anuradha and the winner for the Miss Teen India New York is the beautiful and talented Miss Victoria. Best Wishes to both of them.

I should point out that someone from out midst, the West Indian community, was a member of the panel of judges. He is no other than Mr. Ken Subraj who is the Executive Vice President of the mega rental business - Zara Luxury Apartment & Homes - located at Hillside Avenue. He was the only West Indian (originally from Guyana), on the judges' panel. That shows great unity among Indians within the Diaspora and just the tip of the iceberg of the good work that Zara Realty is involved in. The Subrajs are doing such great charitable work in Guyana and in the New York Tri-State region here to enhance the quality of life for our people, particularly children, that no amount of recognition could equal that genuine goodness within their hearts. It's pricelss. I did see Mr. George Subraj but didn't get to say hello to him. Hopefully, he'll forgive me.

Anyways, Mr. Saran great work! Keep helping these young ladies to shine brighter. And thank you very much for the invitation. I really appreciate it.

Below some photos we managed to capture ....

The lovely contestants displaying their saries ...


Dancers from Arya Dance Acamedy dancing to "Jai Ho" from Slumdog Millionnaire...

No comments:

Post a Comment