Tuesday, December 22, 2009

LET'S BE THE CHANGE WE WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD ...

After a meeting in Richmond Hill Saturday gone (12/19/2009), I returned home and parked the car (I named it Shakti) on the street like I do everyday. It looked like a normal day except that a blizzard was on its way.

Anyways, I began doing chores and after 6 PM, the phone rang. It was a call from my landlady. She said to hurry, someone had hit my car. I bundled myself up as fast as possible and ran down the stairs; it either didn't register or I was being detached about it.

I raced to the car outside and wow! It was really hit. The kids told me that their mother had already called the cops and their father had raced after the white van that smashed into the car and the neighbor's gate.

I went to see my car at a closer range. The bumper and another parts fell off on the ground and there was dent and marks. Shakti did take a serious hit.

One of the kids witnessed the hit-and-run accident but didn't realize that my car was damaged too.

Apparently, the van was parked opposite Shakti and reversed (driverless, yeah you got that right), rammed into the car and the neighbor's gate. The driver then got into the car and sped off. My landlord then gave chase.

Another person, Greg, saw what had happened too. He came over and expressed his shock at what he had saw. He managed only 3 letters from the plate - YMZ. I'm thankful to him. The landlord wasn't able to catch up with the hit-and-run driver. The police came in after an hour and several calls and I gave the report of what I had heard ocurred.

The morals from this story: We need to be responsible for our actions, good or bad and face the consequences of our actions.

Take that hit-and-run driver, for instance. His actions didn't speak much of him as a decent human being. How far can someone of his character go in life? He think he got away from the neighbor and myself. But, for that action, an equal reaction has been created and the consequences thereof will follow him for the rest of his life. None of us can escape the laws of karma.

You know, one can buy and sell cars everyday, but one cannot buy or sell good human characters anywhere in this world, it has to be earned.

So, here's a call for us to "be the change we want to see in this world." Let's think of how our words and actions will affect the other person before we perform them. Let's strive to be nice, decent human beings. Let's observe the basic laws of the land and face the consequences of our actions with a smile or tear and move on.

Some photos of Shakti and the first touch down of the snow for 2009...


Shakti's bumper on the ground ...


The neighbor's gate took a serious blow ...


No comments:

Post a Comment