Saturday, October 31, 2009

THE GHOULS & GHOSTS WERE OUT - HALLOWEEN 2009

I was out on the bustling avenue - Liberty Avenue - this afternoon. I totally forgot about Halloween -until I hit the streets in the area. I saw kids dressed up in different costumes, chaperoned by an adult, were about gathering their candies.

Liberty Avenue was a beehive of activity with groups of kids, dressed as ghouls, ghosts, witches, princesses, zombies, etc. went about "Trick-A-Treat" in the many stores on the avenue. Despite the intermittent drizzle, the avenue was crowded with folks celebrating Halloween.

The amateur 'pic-o-grapher' that I'm, (momentarily forgetting about my errands) I took out the camera and snapped a few photos here and there. It was not easy capturing the moving folks, but I managed a few decent shots.

In between gathering the items I went for and hoisting shopping bags, I worked the camera with one hand, so quite a few shots were bad.

Anyways, New York City being the "melting pot of cultures" that it is, it was quite a site, seeing people from different cultural backgrounds participating in Halloween. I saw alot of Indians from the West Indies and India with their kids out 'trick-a-treating.' Some parents were dressed up for the event!

I still don't understand the purpose of Halloween. But I guess to blend in a society, over time, new comers are either forced to or willingly choose to take part in its existing cultural activities, just not to feel different or maybe strange even, oftentimes without asking a question or two.

You would hope, though, that with the same fervor and enthusiasm they observed Halloween, they would channel that same time and effort into celebrating their own cultural activities. It's a thought.

What I do know is that Halloween is about giving candies to the kids. All that candy! And, how much candy can a kid eat? You know, too much candy is not good for anyone, much less kids.

Here are some photos I snapped ....

A group of kids taking a break ....


This little one look dashingly handsome in his costume ...


Halloween was well and alive on Liberty Avenue ..


Cute little princess busy "trick-a-treating"


Babies who can't walk was out "trick-a-treating"!


Street scene ....

No comments:

Post a Comment