Thursday, August 20, 2009

GOPIO Convention 2009 - History Making

I'm a committee member for the GOPIO Convention 2009 - (Aug 20 - 23rd) helping around with registration. I had to go to the World's Fair Marina. Did a mapquest, then asked my brother all the way from Florida for direction. Didn't follow the direction, went wrong, came around and got back on the Van Wyck Exp - North.

This time around, I steadfastly followed the direction to La Guardia, exit out at Exit 7. Gone too far. Double checked direction with a Pandit at a gas station. Made a U - turn. Came back on expressway towards South, exit out 25A East, got on Northern Blvd, followed the sign of the World's Fair Marian and finally, I arrived! I was the first to get there!!!
It felt good meeting, talking and networking with Indians from all over the world, folks who are professionals in their individual fields and very intelligent. One can feel the dynamism and vibrancy of our rich culture and heritage in the hall.
I met Mr. Yesu Persaud for the first time. He is part of Project History - the documentary. And I'll set up a time to film him.
Then, there was Indian Karaoke singing by Raj and his friend. They rocked the audience with their Indian oldies. Keep it up guys!
And, there was my Australian (he came from Sydney) friend who somehow didn't feel the great ambience of New York City - the financial center of the world!
I captured moments of the event in still images:
Mr. Ashook Ramsaran, General Secretary of GOPIO International, addresssing the gathering ...
Mr. Yesu Persaud, from Guyana, addressing the gathering .....
Dr. Jagat Motwani and a very nice gentleman who came all the way from India ...
Mr. Jaswant organizing ribbon badges ....
Myself, helping Mr. Jaswant ...

No comments:

Post a Comment